Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Oh My God !

I just finished watching this movie. I am still not sure what just happened. I always maintain that each and every movie has something to give as a TAKE-AWAY MESSAGE. The movie was such a breeze that it didn't feel like 120 minutes. It was completely mesmerizing. It was so compelling that I had to break out of my shell to resume my blog. I almost felt like I had my own questions to ask through Kanjibhai Mehta to God as to why there was so  much misery around the world and what it really meant to be truly happy. Sadly, it was the silver screen and I eventually realized it was a story that made me dream.

And it did. It made me dream. I actually had to squeeze every ounce of faith from my heart and accept the grim reality of the society. The sarcasm by one of the religious leaders towards the end as to the masses being "God-fearing" and not "God-loving" made the single most important impression. It was blunt and was the truth. In many ways, as we grow up, the mind becomes more and more bound to the accepted norms and behave to conform with the society. I actually remember a dialogue from the movie - Matrix. [Wicked sneering]. It goes something like this: Morpheus to Neo : "I owe you an apology. We have a rule. We never free a mind once it's reached a certain age. It's dangerous. The mind has trouble letting go." The same thing is what I believe would be true to most of the Indian society. Many would term the movie blasphemous. But to the younger generation, it appealed straight to the heart. What it actually did was to clear up the notion of religion and faith. Religion is a way of life and faith is the guide.

These are sad times. Our cultural values are eroding away under the invasion of the babas, the gurus and their camps. People have misplaced their faith in the so-called traditional practices. Religious gurus present contorted views and create extremism. The religious marketing has become so pervasive that once you enter a place of worship, almost every priest is asking you to put a piece of Gandhi in every other donation box. And if you don't, you are condemned.

What is faith ? It is not to sit and meditate to get a job done. Faith is a belief that if you have good intentions, your act will have the blessings of the divine. People tend to assign faith with the form of religion. Faith is something innate. Religion is a commonly accepted set of beliefs and ways of life which a person can choose to follow. The TAKEAWAY MESSAGE from the movie is not to stop believing in religion but to act always in good faith. This takes care of your selfish needs as well as the greater good. More on selfish needs and greater good later :).

PS: I actually signed up on IMDb to give it a rating (9/10). A must watch for all the atheists and specially for  the unlike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The complete movie was a breeze as said by you correctly, especially the end, when Kanji Bhai was going to store that thing which he threw afterwards, and the amazing lecture given by Akshay Kumar was not less worth than गीता का उपदेश...